Hon. John-Peter Amewu is the current Minister for Railways Development in Ghana. Prior to this position, he was the Minister for Energy from August 2018 to March 2021 and the Minister for Lands & Natural Resources from February 2017 to August 2018.
Hon. John-Peter Amewu is the current Member of Parliament (MP) for Hohoe Constituency in the Volta Region of Ghana.
Hon. John-Peter Amewu went to St. Mary’s seminary secondary school, Lolobi and Adisadel College for his Ordinary and Advanced level studies respectively. He studied Cost Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) and also holds an MBA (Finance) from the University of Ghana. He also has an Executive MBA in International Energy Industry Management and Masters in Petroleum Law and Policy from University of Dundee, United Kingdom. Hon. John-Peter Amewu has also gone through extensive training on current practices within the Mining and Energy industries and has obtained various certificates from Universities of Sydney and Western Australia.
Hon. John-Peter Amewu is a Cost Engineer by profession with broad knowledge in the Energy and Mining Industry. He has over fifteen (15) years’ working experience in government, private sector, civil society and international development organizations.
He is the Co-founder of Africa Centre for Energy Policy (ACEP); and worked as the director of policy and research, where he provided policy related advice to support a variety of government and private sector projects. Throughout his career, he has also served as board chair of major private institutions in Ghana. He is also a professional international consultant in his area of expertise - Mining and Energy. His input in providing solutions to problems in Ghana’s Energy and Mining Sectors has earned him both local and International recognition.
- Best Performing Minister of the year 2017, awarded by Pan African Enterprise and Achiever Awards.
- Minister of the year 2017, awarded by Christian Council of Ghana.
- African Leadership Medal of Public Service by African Leadership Magazine.
- Distinguished Public Officer of the year 2018 at the 8th Ghana Entrepreneur and Corporate Executive Awards and Gala dinner 2018.
- Distinguished Government Official of the year 2017/2018, awarded by Pan African Top Brands Eminence Awards.
- Nobel Peace and Leadership Award by Alfred Noble University
- UCIA (United Clergy International Association) 2019 Heroes of Distinction Award for excellence in Leadership
- UCIA (United Clergy International Association) 2020 Hall of Fame award for excellence in Leadership
Hon. John-Peter Amewu has indeed distinguished himself as an astute public officer. He has been passionate about national environmental sustainability devoid of illegal mining and also the availability of affordable electrical energy in a clean environment.
Hon. John-Peter Amewu is now poised to help drive the government’s agenda to develop the railway sector in Ghana which is needed for fast economic development. “I want to leave a legacy of a revamped and robust railway sector” (Hon. John-Peter Amewu, 5th March 2021).